Types of Mesothelioma
Three primary types of mesothelioma
- Pleural – Mesothelioma in the lining of the lung.
- Periotoneal – Mesothelioma in the abdominal cavity.
- Pericardial – Mesothelioma of the sac surrounding the heart.
Malignant Mesothelioma Types
The disease is further divided into three types of malignant mesothelioma based upon its cellular structure.
- Epithelioid mesothelioma (50% to 70% of all malignant mesothelioma cases – the most common type)
- Sarcomatoid mesothelioma (10% to 15% of mesothelioma cases – the least common type)
- Mixed or Biphasic mesothelioma (20% to 40% of mesothelioma cases – a combination of the above types)
Although many forms of therapy exist, no cure for mesothelioma is known.