Olympus Scope

A deadly outbreak has been traced to the use of TJF-Q180V duodenoscope, manufactured by Olympus. The discovery was made after a series of infections and deaths resulting from a “superbug” bacteria, antibiotic resistant bacteria, at UCLA Ronald Reagan Medical Center in Los Angeles, California in 2015. Those infections were linked to the Olympus scope.

Arriving on the market in 2010, the scope stayed on the market for four years prior to the FDA realizing the device was never cleared. More than 500,000 procedures annually used this scope.

During procedures, doctors insert the flexible scope into the throat in order to diagnose a variety of diseases. It has been determined that the device was simply not clean, keeping in mind that use of the device required touching internal tissues. The scopes have tiny crevices near the camera of the device that can harbor microorganisms and potentially cause bacteria to be passed from patient to patient. Exposures are believed to have taken place between October 2014 to January 2015. If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with a superbug infection following an endoscopy, you may have a claim.